Thursday, November 12, 2009

Be Still, My Soul




This is, without a shadow of a doubt, the worst thing EVER. We miss him everyday; we want to be with him everyday; we want to kiss, hug and play with him everyday. There are no words that can take away our sorrow and nothing takes away the pain, believe me I have tried. . . . not even cleaning.

We have had moments of peace, moments when he seems to be here. The knowledge we have of Eternal Families has been a great strength to all of us. Thanks to everyone who prays for us on a daily basis. . . I truly believe you are a BIG reason why we can get up in the morning. It is going to be a long journey. . . .I know that every day I make it through is one day closer to Luke.

Luke--Mommy, Daddy, Josh, and Mikey love and miss you so much. We are going to try to endure to the end so that we can see and hold you again.

We may rest assured that all things are controlled and governed by Him whose spirit children we are. He knows all things from the beginning to the end and he provides for each of us the testings and trials which he knows we need. President Joseph Fielding Smith once told me that we must assume that the Lord knows and arranges beforehand who shall die in infancy and who shall remain on earth to undergo whatever tests are needed in their cases. This accords with Joseph Smith’s statement: “The Lord takes many away, even in infancy, that they may escape the envy of man, and the sorrows and evils of this present world; they were too pure, too lovely, to live on earth.” -Bruce R. McConkie

Until we meet again, my Luker boy, our mister Luke.






9 comments:

tracey said...

You are amazing. We are so lucky to have the gospel in our lives. I will never forget the quote a friend of yours shared on your facebook. "The best way to have heaven in your home is to have a piece of your home in heaven" You will be together again. Love you!

The Hammers said...

WOW...Jan this is truely hard.. I know that words can only help so much and time will also help. When I think about our Brylie the hurt comes everytime. I also get a great feeling of peace and love. I feel her very often even 7 years later. I know she is with her father and is patiently waiting for us. I know that she will always be ours. I know that she won't every fall away. I know that she won't have to face the trials of this world. I know that through the love of heavenly father we we're truely blessed by this trial. Not that it makes the pain leave but the joy in knowing one of my family has already over come the TEST brings joy to my soul. Hang in there and let us know if we can ever do anything for you. We love you and are praying for peace to your soul. Brad

LoraAnn said...

I LOVE YOU JAN!!

Melzie said...

We met such a breif time, but I've follow you and Tina since I moved away. Especially on her running go round, and the babies. I lived vicariously through you guys & wished I could have stayed and made better friends with you. However, when Tina called to tell me, my heart and prayers have been with you guys ever since. Hurt is never far, but there is so much happiness too.. sometimes it's hard to fathom, and sometimes I feel such guilt over it... however, I am blessed in knowing that there really are reasons and the knowledge that it's not an end is a powerful thing.

Billie Jo said...

Jan and Brian, You both are the most strong and valiant people I know. There will never be a time when I don't think of you in my day. I am sure there is going to be an empty spot in your soul; but the love that you have for Luke, our Savior, and each other can pull you through it. You were chosen to be the parents of such an amazing son of god. I love you both!

The Gunnerson Family said...

Jan and Brian,
What beautiful words for your beautiful little Luke. I have had a prayer for you and your family in my heart ever since I heard the tragic news. I agree that only the knowledge of the eternal nature of families could even slightly help in a situation like this.

I once had an Old Testament class where we were talking about Abraham and the trial the Lord gave him to sacrifice his son. My teacher reminded us that the Lord would only give us the trials that He knew that we could face. I've never forgotten that lesson because my teacher went on to say that we would all face a trial, like Abraham, that would test our faithfulness to its limits. I can only look at you and be reminded of the faith of Abraham. To be asked to sacrifice a son is something I cannot imagine. What a special spirit Luke must be. What faithful parents you are. Thank-you for your example.

Love,
Olivia

The Gunnerson Family said...

I am so sad for your grief. I'm so sorry for you. Even knowing full well that both of my parents had long, wonderful lives -- it is still hard to say good-bye. I cannot imagine how you meet this challenge you have been given, except through the faith you have in Jesus Christ, our Redeemer and in Heavenly Father's plan for each of us. I have told Earl many times that we say things to comfort ourselves, but I am comforted by the words of Joseph Smith you have quoted. I do belief with all my heart the words in the Book of Mormon that we are not given challenges we are not capable of handling. Again--words of comfort, but what strong people you must be. Our thoughts and prayers are for you both and the boys as well. This is Billie Sue -- Olivia was signed in.

Mary said...

It is true, I know that it is true. Love you! Mary

Goody Family said...

Oh Jan, I am so sorry for what your family is going through. It makes my heart ache to even imagine the thought of losing a child, I cannot begin to understand what you are feeling right now. While I know that it has been quite some time since I have seen you, know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.