Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Hutch


Brian made me this hutch for me for Christmas. . . he couldn't hide it from me, so he put it in the house with a sign that said "Do not paint until after Christmas". So, for two weeks, I agonized over what color to paint it. I looked online at other hutches, printed out pictures of what I liked, had my friends come over to tally which one they liked. It was a painful process. But, finally Christmas came, and I could now paint the hutch. Now, I DO NOT like to paint, which is odd because I have fond memories of my mother painting the kitchen of our house at 2 A.M. because she thought it needed to be done, then a year maybe two later, doing it again. I lived in that house for 18 years, so I would bet there are at least 10 coats of paint on those walls. But you see, I did not get that gene. I got the "it's a pain- it will make a mess-it will take forever-I do not have the patience for this" gene. But, it had to be done. So when the decision needed to be made, I decided to go with artist canvas (off white) with a brown wash. So after 2 coats of artist canvas, sanding, more sanding and even more sanding, and, putting the stain on, just to wipe it off, AND all of this totaling about 11 hours of work. . . . I give you. . .DRUM ROLL. . . The Hutch.


10 comments:

Tina said...

I think it is beautiful!!!!!

tracey said...

Nice job!! I too have the "it's a pain- it will make a mess-it will take forever-I do not have the patience for this" gene. Good for you for just getting it done! Looks great!!

Gabrielle said...

Jan ... it's so stinkin' adorable! AND I MEAN IT! Just by looking at the before and after picture it looks so cute. You did a nice job sanding it too. Can't wait to see it in person.

As for the hate to paint gene. I really have that gene too. I think it's a pain ... but I like the end result.

And hey??? Weren't Brian's things supposed to go on the hutch??

Gabrielle

Billie Jo said...

It turned out perfect! I wonder who else has that gene??? When can I schedule Brian to come here. I have a few more projects in mind. I too got a big set of shelves for my office. I however did not have to paint them but the guy who built them accidentally called and ruined the surprise so I got them a few days before Christmas as well. It was still perfect. I went the complete opposite direction and have antique black!

Team Bryan said...

Wicked cute. It is amazing that our BRIAN has such a knack for cute things. Could it have been the five sisters that helped him get in touch with his wicked adorable furniture vibe?? Was it you?? Was it exposure to his FAVORITE sister in law (me)?? Whatever it was, the boy does good work. The paint job, however, is HORRENDOUS!! I suggest you start all over again and bring that awful hutch to me. I will do what I can to salvage it!!!Hee hee hee Love you!!!

Angela said...

I love it, you did a Great job!

Holly said...

Jan,
It looks beautiful!!! I love it!! See, you didn't need my help at all!! It's a beautiful hutch, Brian really did a great job building it!!

Holly said...

Jan,
It looks beautiful!!! I love it!! See, you didn't need my help at all!! It's a beautiful hutch, Brian really did a great job building it!!

Gabrielle said...

Ummm . . . even cuter in person! I agree with "Team Bryan" you should start all over and send the hutch this way! It's even cuter then my GREEN one! Especially love the "ivy!" It's always got a home here! Don't you think it would match my sofa table?

BRYAN is amazing! Jan, you're better at this then you think you are.

Gabrielle

AceMott6 said...

The Hutch is beautiful!! Good job Brian...and nice job on the painting Jan.